A “puzzle” in a game can mean different things – in games focused on them, a puzzle is traditional – a discrete set of game objects and figuring out how they fit together creates the challenge in the game. In action-oriented games they usually consist of more immediately apparent solutions and serve as a change of pace rather than a challenge in itself. In the former, the goal is to make the player feel smart, in the latter it is to give her respite. In my humble opinion, this causes some genre confusion as a lot of games are being dubbed “Puzzle platformers” without actually being about the puzzles. Also, a lot of people express – professionally and privately – their resentment over the genre citing its ubiquity when I think it’s more about lumping different games together based on superficial similarities. Continue reading
Time for another art creation video! Here we are showing the process of creating a HSLE art asset, a pattern and finally it’s implementation in the game. If you’ve seen our previous videos or blog entries you might be familiar with the HSLE-object, if not you will hopefully understand by the end of the video.
Music: Super Mario Bros. Jazz Plumber Trio OC Remix
We strive to bring an element of procedural generation to a lot of the art of Backworlds – this gives us the opportunity to create large amounts of content without spending too much time, but more importantly it gives us the opportunity to animate the art from the way it is generated. As an example, this is an in-development effect regarding a smoke particle.
I have posted a number of videos from the editor for Backworlds so I thought I would mix it up a bit by showing you how we create an art asset. There are a few basic things I do for every art asset I build, which you will see in the video:
Hello! after last month’s overview of some of our early graphical effects, I thought I would go into a bit more detail about one of them.
I recorded a little video showing of some of the editor features Anders has added that we will use for bringing some life into the levels of Backworlds by adding motion in different ways. The video shows of a few of them and it is more a demonstration of the things we can do than a artistic showcase. Enjoy!
Battletoads – BirdGuyJam OC Remic by Zelig
Donkey Kong Country 2 – Set Sail OC Remix by Blizihizake
Today I will talk about some of the steps we took to reach the current art style of Backworlds. While we still have a long way to go with the art and may decide to make further changes to the style, I will go over some of the reasoning behind what the game looks like right now. Continue reading
I started running Backworlds on a Surface Pro recently in order to determine how much work it would be to port the game to tablets – rather than the porting itself, the big challenges are how we change the controls to feel good on a tablet. The Surface Pro is practically a laptop running Windows 8 which meant I could immediately run the game, which was nice.
Since both of the Surface models come with a pressure-sensitive stylus this also gave me an excuse to connect this to the drawing – so if you are playing the game with a digital drawing tablet or display it would be more responsive. Implementing pressure-sensitivity with SDL in Windows wasn’t a straightforward affair though, so I thought I’d collect some of the things I learned in this post.
In previous posts we have talked about certain design issues on a higher level. Such as the general world design or rules that our level design should apply. However I thought I would bring up a few examples of design issues that have come up during the development that are more specific and also explain the solution for them.
We are currently hard at work with the leveldesign (iteration, iteration…) and working out how the themes of the game tie into the narrative and aesthetics. Taking a break from that, today I thought I’d go over one of our effects.
In the Backworlds demo, we spawn the player character into the level by gradually drawing the icon into place. We liked the effect for this and decided to try and implement it in several places, today I will give a brief overview of our quick-and-dirty solution to doing this.